Tuesday, May 15, 2007

There is always a first time for everything...

Last night was our (MD and I) first personal coaching. As planned we did it reciprocally, to which since the idea came up we call it Reciprocal Coaching. This kind of coaching could be the first coaching style in this planet. So far we haven’t found any reference toward Reciprocal Coaching. If anybody find one please don’t hesitate to share it with me.

Most of definitions on coaching put the coach at a higher level than the coachee because the coach should meet some criteria on coaching skills and techniques as stated by Eric Parsloe, a Director of Oxford School of Coaching and Mentoring. He defines coaching as a process that enables learning and development to occur and thus performance to improve. To be a successful a Coach requires a knowledge and understanding of process as well as the variety of styles, skills and techniques that are appropriate to the context in which the coaching takes place (The Manager as Coach and Mentor, 1999, page 8).

Back to real world. Back to us. MD and I... we both have zero skills, zero techniques in personal coaching. We never go to coaching institution to get a degree. This will not stop us. I believe our goodwill, our experience, and our conscience will lead us to find all the best criteria required suitable for us. God speaks, we listen, others follow. Keep life simple. Keep on enriching it. That’s the beauty of life.

The topics of this session were “Goal Setting and Arenas of Life”. Yet, since this is a personal coaching MD reminded me not to share the content we have been discussed to anyone. We shared each other our goal on each arena of life (self, family, community, business/professional, etc), we set time frame, level of urgency, tools to achieve the goal, and many more. It was a fruitful session. MD shared his great plan and I have to save it for myself. This could be my first experience and against my believe to always put myself as a Public Relation of good things, share great things to more and more people. Inspire them. For this great one, I talk to myself:”Chris, keep the commitment, don’t make MD upset, embernya jangan bocor ya hahaha....” Tough... a challenge!

Well... I am looking forward to experience the second one.

No comments: